Monday, November 24, 2008

Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City

We travelled 7 hours by bus yesterday to arrive in Saigon. Alas we are coming to the end of our Vietnam adventures and just when I feel we are really getting inside the culture and the country. Disturbingly on the bus journey and just on the outskirts of Saigon I looked up from my book because there were massess of people crowding the opposite side of the highway and traffic was stopped. It was one of those moments where you see something and can't quite reconcile with it so you keep staring until you regret it. A man had been hit by a car on his motorbike and was lying dead under a bamboo covering, his helmeted head out the end and blood everywhere. I have never seen such a sight and it really shocked me actually. Tim was also fairly unnerved and it took me a while to get it out of my system. I have to admit I was waiting to see soemthing like it though- the traffic here is waaaaayyyy crazier than Thailand!

We arrived in the centre of the backpacker area, grabbed a hotel and went for a wander. The Reunification palace was closed for the day so we wandered through the markets.

No comments: