Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Paris- in retrospect

Ok so I am writing this 2 weeks after we returned but thought I should update before my memories get even foggier.

Tim and I travelled on the Eurostar to Paris on Valentines day. I was feeling a little bit nervous about travelling through the Channel Tunnel but in the end we were only in the tunnel for about 20 minutes and then we were up and out in France. Very strange. The scenery looked surprisingly like Kent scenery. Green (ish because its Winter) fields. Little villages spattering the country side etc. It did seem less populated than Kent though with the emphasis on little villages rather than sprawling towns that merge into each other like in Kent. The villages could be identified by a town church tower and mostly the houses looked to be fairly old and reddish in colour.

We arrived in Paris at about 7 at night and decided to head straight for our apartment in the tenth district. But as usual we kind of ran out of the house unorganised and didn't bring the instructions on how best to get there. So we bought a map and navigated our way through the metro system. Stupidly we ended up on the wrong end of a very long street and had to make our way back again until eventually we found our place opposite a very large and easily accessibly metro station. One that we did not travel to.

Nonetheless I need to remark on how brilliant European subways are. You can get basically anywhere from anywhere and rarely have to wait more than 5 minutes. Truly brilliant!

Our apartment was quite cute and I was very excited to finally have access to a shower instead of a bath (which is all we have at our place). I really miss standing up to wash. Its the little things.

We went to a Japanese restaraunt for dinner and had a few wines to celebrate Valentines day. I suppose a lot of people dream about being in Paris for Valentines day. Tim and I never take it too seriously but I realised that we were pretty lucky.

No comments: